John Colles is based in Biggar within the Scottish Borders.
After a career as an inventor and lecturer in optics, lasers and creative thinking he began drawing and painting. Now, after following a number of courses at Edinburgh College of art and, more recently, two years of full time painting at Leith School of Art, he practices from a studio in Biggar.
John has had work exhibited in a number of places both solo and with other artists such as the Madainn group (a collection of artists from the local area). His work formed part of the end of year exhibition at Leith School of Art where his paintings and drawings focussed on a response to the events unfolding in Syria.Currently his interests are towards narrative works using a variety of media including ink wash, oil and wax and, in the case of the Syrian series, glue, pigment, ash, sawdust and soot.
A painting (see archive gallery) is available to clinics and hospitals through the ‘Art in Healthcare’ collection. (purchased in 2013).
With the Madainn Group
- Aroma coffee House, Biggar, Various exhibitions, 2008-2013
- Tolbooth Gallery, Kirkcudbright, February-March 2009
- Tolbooth Gallery, Kirkcudbright, April-May 2010
- Eastgate Gallery, Peebles, July-August 2011
- ‘Inside-out’, Aroma Coffee House, Biggar, April-June 2012
- AnTalaSolais, Ullapool, March 2012
- Leith School of Art, Edinburgh June 2013
- Leith School of Art, Edinburgh June 2014